Tuesday, January 18, 2005

American Idol

Ok. American Idol is my guilty pleasure and it’s the only TV I watch (except for my other guilty pleasures: Desperate Housewives and Oprah). Fox put out a release saying it didn't think that the ratings would be as high this year. Ha! What a PR scam. Watching American idol is like taking a sociology/psych class. We wonder how people can commit horrible crimes and yet never admit to it. They never admit it because they never admit it to themselves. They convince themselves they didn't do it and they believe it. Just watch American idol. Some people are really oblivious to the truth, so much that they’'ve deceived themselves. They believe they’re the best when they'’re awful. Then when they hear the truth, they call Simon an ***hole. Haven’t they watched the show before? That’s Simon'’s gimmick. So much denial. People work themselves into a lather. But watching those people makes me cringe. I prefer watching the reactions of the ones who do well. The thing that American idol does well is weave in the idol wannabe’s lives, so we care about them in some way. Good or bad, it amazes me that people have so much guts. I admire anyone who gets up there and auditions. So far, I'm rooting for rock n' roll man.