Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Critics Come Out of the Weeds to Criticize Obama's Trip

Obama's trip was important and it was a success. Our national security and our economy depends on Obama renewing and strengthening some of these relationships again. Some people don't understand that concept.

But the media is letting people like Laura Ingraham publicly criticize the trip. She's a Fox "News" commentator, one of the extremists. Didn't she recently behave like a child, mocking Meghan McCain?

Ingraham has no merits. I guess the media is trying to be fair in getting the other side (tagging the video clip "conservative criticism"), but aren't there smarter voices out there on the right? Do they really have to turn to has-beens like Newt Gingrich and talk show hosts? Why do the extremists have so many talk show hosts? Why can't the media elevate the level of discussion?

I know a thoughtful critique when I hear one. I also know a total wingnut when I hear one. Republican John Feehery makes an attempt to be thoughtful:
Some will say that this "play nice" strategy will backfire on Republicans; that the only way to beat Obama is to stoke fear and attack his character. Others will accuse me of going soft on a Democrat who quite clearly doesn't share the values of most Republicans. But I think there is far greater risk for the Republican brand in not acknowledging what Obama's election means historically, and not appreciating how his example is not only good for Democrats but for the country at large.
When I hear David Brooks criticize, I know he's at least intelligent.

There also seems to be a lot of man jealousy. Male politicians seem to be plainly envious of Obama. That's evidenced in the low level of conversation.

But if the GOP wants to be relevant again, they need to dig up some new folks, some legitimate representatives. But I'm not holding my breath. It seems they're so out of touch they haven't yet realized just how far behind they are.