Monday, April 20, 2009

Republicans Meet Your New Leader: Meghan McCain

Well, she may not lead the party, but if republicans are wise, they'll listen to Meghan McCain who is as creeped out by Karl Rove as the rest of us are. Rove = stodgy ancient politics. In a word, icky:
Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That’s creepy. I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It’s allowed me to share the less-serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there’s also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people. Daily Beast
Meghan represents progressive republicans, though she needs to learn more about economics to really be on top of things. Meghan admitted on the Rachel Maddow show that like her dad, the economy isn't her strong suit.
Meghan has a good handle on the state of affairs:
People in our country have much more important issues to deal with on a daily basis. But the experience did reinforce what I learned on the campaign trail in some major ways.
I’ll summarize them in three points:
Most of our nation wants our nation to succeed.
Most people are ready to move on to the future, not live in the past.
Most of the old school Republicans are scared shitless of that future.
She also said this in a speech to the Log Cabin Republicans, which promote gay issues within the party:
I am concerned about the environment. I love to wear black. I think government is best when it stays out of people’s lives and business as much as possible. I love punk rock. I believe in a strong national defense. I have a tattoo. I believe government should always be efficient and accountable. I have lots of gay friends. And yes, I am a Republican.
But she makes me wonder--if these are her values, why is she a republican? If she's the new republican, what's the difference between Meghan and a democrat?

Democrats and progressive republicans have come together on the environment and immigration.

There are only a couple of things people might perceive as a departure between a new republican and a democrat-- a strong national defense and a small government (taxes).

But democrats get a bad rap on those things. I would guess most democrats believe in a strong national defense, though they might have a different view on how the military is used and they might have a different outlook on international relations. I would also say that democrats would like government to be as efficient as possible. And who likes taxes? But democrats have a more flexible view of taxes.  

Meghan counts herself as pro gay marriage, so the only other differences are guns and abortion. Democrats like their guns too, though they might regulate them more than republicans.

Meghan McCain is anti-abortion. I count myself as anti-abortion. But I don't think government should tell a woman what she can do with her body and I think we should work toward reducing abortions.

So the differences between a new kind of republican such as Meghan and a democrat aren't that big. The nation has progressed and the gap between republicans and democrats has narrowed, which is why Obama has appealed to so many.

This might be why a vocal minority of Tea Baggers are up in arms, literally. The Tea Party, clinging to old ways, has been left behind.